Vegan Rose Cookies – Achu Murukku
Here’s my rose cookies/achu murukku recipe made with all vegan ingredients, using steps that i learned from my mother over half a century ago.
2 1/2 cups rice flour
1/4 cup all purpose wheat flour.
1/4 cup corn flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
3/4 teaspoons salt
2 1/4 cups grated coconut
2 1/4 coconut milk.
Makes about 50 pieces
1. Put grated coconut in blender with 2 and 1/4 cups of warm water and blend for 1 minute. Strain the coconut milk using a sieve. Should get about 2 and 1/2 cups of coconut milk.
2. Put rice flour, wheat flour, corn flour, sugar and salt in a bowl.
3. Pour in the coconut milk and stir until a smooth mixture is obtained.
4. Add vanilla essence and stir.
5. Strain the mixture using a sieve.
6. This is the cookie mould.
7. Heat up cooking oil and place cookie mould in it to heat up.
8. Shake off excess oil from the cookie mould and place it into the cookie batter until it covers the mould almost to the top. Place the cookie mould into the hot oil and hold it in the oil. After 2 seconds, shake the mould until the cookie drops off.
9. Allow the cookie to cook until lightly brown and then remove from pan and place on absorbent paper.
10. Once the cookies are cool, store in an airtight container.